Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Get In Touch With Our Team 561-391-9943
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn

Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP)


If you’re currently going through a divorce or are separated from your spouse, you may have concerns about him or her trying to take your child out of the country. If your child doesn’t have a passport and is under the age of 16, it is required to have consent from both parents to obtain one. Both parents must go in person or provide a signed consent form if only one parent is available. If you’re concerned about your ex trying to apply for a passport without your consent, you can register your information through a program called the Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP).

This Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program allows the Department of State’s Office of Children’s Issues to contact the enrolling parent or legal guardian to confirm whether or not you are granting parental consent for the minor to have a passport issued. In addition, once a child is enrolled in CPIAP, they can alert the enrolling parent or legal guardian of a pending passport application and any past passport issuances for a child. The program is only open to U.S. citizens or children who qualify for U.S. citizenship and are under 18 years old. If your child has dual nationality, the CPIAP cannot assist with passports issued in foreign countries. It will only monitor status and applications for United States passports.

Enrolling in CPIAP

If you’re interested in enrolling, you’ll need to complete the CPIAP request form, DS-3077. You must fill out a separate form for each child. You’ll need to send proof of your identity with a copy of your passport, your driver’s license, or another form of photo id that has your signature.

In addition, you have to show evidence that you are legally related to the child. This can be done through your child’s birth certificate, an affidavit of paternity, evidence of authority to act on behalf of a parent or legal guardian, or a current custody/adoption/guardianship court order from a court of competent jurisdiction.

In select cases, you may have to show additional documentation that is relevant. This can be things like divorce decrees, protective orders, custody orders, police reports, and warrants.

Documents must be forwarded to the U.S. Department of State Overseas Citizen Services Office of Children’s Issues in Washington D.C. It’s important you keep all your contact information and supporting documents current.

Important Things to Note about CPIAP

Typically, one parent submits the information, but you may find that both parents will submit their information separately, or that law enforcement, the family court, or someone acting on behalf of a parent (attorney, another family member, even a member of Congress), have submitted a request.

If you enter your child’s information into the system, it doesn’t guarantee that a child won’t be issued a passport. The parent who submitted the request can make the decision to consent to a passport being issued once he or she is notified about the pending application.

There are other scenarios that may not stop the issuance of a passport, so it’s important to talk with a Florida child custody attorney to explain your specific situation. Please contact the Boca Raton team at the Law Offices of Schwartz | White online or at 561-391-9943 to schedule a consultation.



Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
MileMark Media

© 2017 - 2024 The Law Offices of Schwartz | White, Attorneys at Law. All rights reserved.
This law firm website is managed by MileMark Media.