Considering Adoption? Consult with a Family Law Attorney First
When a couple makes the decision to adopt an infant, it is as life-changing and monumental as their decision to have a baby. Unfortunately, unlike having a baby, once a couple chooses to adopt, it can be years before they ever get to meet their little one. According to the National Adoption Center, a couple can expect to wait for between two and seven years after filing their paperwork to meet their bundle of joy. This is assuming that all of the paperwork is accurately filled out and that the parents get approved for adoption right away.
Unfortunately, the Florida adoption process is extremely long and complex, and includes several meetings with prospective biological parents, the termination of the biological parents rights, an intensive screening process, a course on what to expect post adoption, and mountains of paperwork covering the legalities of the process. Furthermore, many biological parents will renege on their decision to put their infant up for adoption, or, sadly, a prospective infant will pass away before the adoptive parents ever get a chance to meet him or her.
Working with a family law attorney throughout the entire adoption process can help you avoid the costly and time consuming setbacks often experienced by hopeful parents.
Five Ways an Attorney Can Help Expedite the Adoption Process
- An attorney can provide the advice and support you will need to get through the adoption process. The adoption process can be confusing, frustrating, and emotionally trying, especially if you are not sure where to begin or who to turn to. A family law attorney can guide you through the process and ensure that you work with the right agency, fill out all of the necessary paperwork, and meet all of the eligibility requirements set forth by your agency. Additionally, a family law attorney can ensure that you get the advice and support you will undoubtedly need throughout the process.
- An attorney can keep you informed. Because of the longevity of the adoption process, it can be easy to lose track of what has been done, what needs to be done, and what milestones you have successfully completed. An attorney can keep you informed throughout the entire process and ensure that you are prepared for every “next step.”
- An attorney can help you navigate the legalities of the process. Adoption is full of numerous legal guidelines and hurdles that many prospective parents find difficult to make sense of on their own. An attorney can help you navigate Florida adoption laws (which can be found under Chapter 63) and ensure that you meet all of the necessary legal requirements.
- An attorney can make sure that you are well prepared. The adoption agency is going to want to complete a thorough assessment of you, your spouse, and your home. An attorney can prepare you for what to expect and make sure that all of your affairs are in order so that you can meet all of the requirements of a “stable home” and “stable providers” that the adoption agency will look for.
- An attorney can help you file a petition to begin the process. The adoption process begins with filing a petition and a court hearing. A family law attorney can represent you from the very beginning and ensure that you enter the process strong and well prepared.
Consult a Boca Raton Family Law Attorney
At the Law Offices of Schwartz | White, our Boca Raton family law attorneys can help you navigate the complex adoption process in order to eliminate any costly or time-consuming errors. To consult with one of our attorneys today, contact our family law firm at 561.391.9943.