Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Get In Touch With Our Team 561-391-9943
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn

Frequently Asked Questions about Child Support in Florida


When parents are getting a divorce, or there is a pending custody battle, the court may award child support to one parent. This is payment from one parent to the other to assist with basic living necessities for the child. Necessities can include items like housing, water, electricity, and food. In the event you are in the midst of a custody battle or trying to get an award for child custody, it’s important to speak with a knowledgeable Florida child support attorney. It’s imperative to have someone to represent your interests and help you fight for the financial assistance your child(ren) deserve.

Here are some frequently asked questions regarding child support in Florida.

How much child support will I receive?

There is no set amount you will receive, as the court takes various factors into account when determining how much financial support to award. Some of these include the child’s needs, parental income, health insurance, day care costs, etc.

How do I have a child support award modified?

It’s not uncommon for situations to change after the initial child support award is granted. Your children may no longer need the same standard in care, or you may have had a drop in your regular income. Perhaps you lost your job and no longer have employer-issued health insurance for your child, or your children no longer need day care expenses because they are old enough to be in school. A significant change can be enough to petition the court for a modification of the initial child support order.

Is child support tax deductible?

No, child support is not a tax-deductible expense.

What happens if I don’t know whether the child is mine?

If you have concerns on paternity, you must request a paternity test as soon as the case begins. If you wait until the court has issued a child support order, you might not be able to have the test done.

My ex is not paying the ordered child support. How do I proceed?

You may have to take your ex back to court and you will likely be eligible to collect the amount owed plus interest. The court may help enforce the child support order by having your ex’s wages garnished, or a lien placed on other property. In some instances, your ex may even face some jail time for their failure to pay.

What happens if I can’t find my ex?

The Child Support Enforcement Bureau may be able to assist in locating the responsible parent. They will search for them using a variety of state, local, and federal resources. You will need to provide them with as much information as you have so they have a better chance of finding him or her.

Retaining a Florida Family Law Attorney

In the event you need assistance enforcing a child support order or need to start a child support case, contact the Law Offices of Schwartz | White. Our Boca Raton team has decades of experience handling all areas of Florida family law matters, including child support. Contact our office at 561-391-9943 to schedule a consultation.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
MileMark Media

© 2017 - 2024 The Law Offices of Schwartz | White, Attorneys at Law. All rights reserved.
This law firm website is managed by MileMark Media.